prof. dr. sc. Ksenija Fumić
Phone: 01 2367 244
Address: Centre for Applied Medical Biochemistry
Domagojeva 2, 10000 Zagreb
Ksenija Fumić, PhD, is cumulatively employed as assistant professor at Department of Medical Biochemistry and Hematology, Zagreb University School of Pharmacy & Biochemistry, and at University Hospital Center Zagreb. She is leader of the course Neurobiochemistry and co-leader of the course Special Areas of Clinical Biochemistry. She teaches graduate courses Clinical biochemistry of organs and organ systems and Integrate course of laboratory diagnostics. She is a medical biochemistry specialist and senior research scientist. Basic field of her research and professional activities are related to the area of inherited metabolic diseases. The research involves development of new methods of laboratory diagnostics, understanding of pathophysiological basis of rare inherited metabolic disorders, investigation of new biomarkers for diagnostics and follow-up of the therapy course of inborn errors of metabolism.
- 1996 PhD degree from Karl-Franzens University in Graz, Austria
- 1990 University of Zagreb, School of Medicine, postgraduate study, academic title: Master of sciences, field of science: Biomedicine and health
- 1984 University of Zagreb, Faculty of Pharmacy and Biochemistry, graduate study of Medical Biochemistry, academic title: Master of Medical Biochemistry
- 1984 – present - Department of Laboratory Diagnostics, University Hospital Center Zagreb; since 2005 head of the Clinical Unit for Inherited Metabolic Diseases
- 2010 – assistant professor at Department of Medical Biochemistry and Hematology, Zagreb University School of Pharmacy & Biochemistry
Scientific education at the following:
- 2014 visiting researcher, Metabolic Laboratory, Florence, Italy
- 2004 visiting researcher, Tubingen Medical School, Germany
- 2002 visiting researcher, Metabolic Laboratory Heidelberg, Germany
- 2001 visiting researcher, Cambridge Science Park, United Kingdom
- 2000 visiting researcher, Gottingen University Hospital, Germany
- 1995 visiting researcher, Gent School of Medicine, Belgium
- 1991 – 1994 doctoral study, Children's Hospital Graz, Austria
International projects (collaborator):
- 2013 – European project - The Inherited NeuroMetabolic Diseases Information Network (InNerMeD) Brains for Brain Foundation
- 1997 – 2000 Proton Magnetic Spectroscopy in Nonclassified Leukoencephalopathies in Children. A project carried out as part of bilateral collaboration with the Federal Republic of Germany.
National projects (collaborator):
- 2014 Isolation and Modulation of Antioxidative Properties of Herbal Polyphenols by Applying Cyclodextrin. Scientific project at the University of Zagreb (within the framework of short-term financial support)
- 2007 – 2014 Hereditary Metabolic and Other Monogenic Diseases in Children. Scientific project # 108-1081870-1885 funded by the Croatian Ministry of Science and Technology
- 2000 – 2007 Hereditary Metabolic and Other Monogenic Diseases in Children. Scientific project # 108 994 funded by the Croatian Ministry of Science and Technology
- 1996 – 1998 Molecular Basis of Hypercholesterolemia - a Risk Factor in the Development of Cardiovascular Diseases. Scientific project # 108201 funded by the Croatian Ministry of Science and Technology
- Annual award for scientific achievement by the Croatian Society of Medical Biochemists in 2007
- Horst Buckel International Annual Award for the best scientific paper in the field of hereditary metabolic diseases in 2005; Research Award by the Academy of Medical Sciences of Croatia for the same paper.
Membership in professional associations
- 1974 – present: Croatian Society of Medical Biochemistry and Laboratory Medicine, Croatian Society for Human Genetics, Croatian Society for Rare Diseases, Socitety for the Study of Inborn Errors of Metabolism, European Study Group for Lysosomal Disorders.
The works included in the Croatian scientific bibliography (CROSBI)